Monday, January 26, 2015

Let's Talk Cuticles

Let's be real here.  I, Megan, have never touched my cuticles.

Ok. I tried a cuticle trimmer when I was like seven-ish and it hurt really bad and I bled (because I didn't know what I was doing obviously, I was seven!).  I was then promptly traumatized and never touched them again.  And I think my nails have suffered for it.

I have super short nail beds, and the edges of them are not curved.  They're straight across.  My nails always peel, and they're almost always brittle.  I thought to myself, "There must be a way to change the shape of my nail bed."  That's how I came across this.

I wanted to shout from the sky.  I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH BAD NAIL BEDS!  Kristina has some really great tips that I am now adopting into my nail care routines, like the nail brush and buffing down (gently) any flakes.  Definitely going to be doing those.

But there was one thing I balked at.  Cuticle care.  Flash backs to that trimmer episode abound.  I followed a link on her blog to a basic manicure video, where she does a prep routine.  I'll link it here.  She mentions a cuticle remover and cuticle oil.  The oil was way too expensive for this broke college kid at the moment, but I bought a cuticle oil in the same brand as the remover.

I tried it out this afternoon and I'll give you my first impression. It tingled, which now that I think about it is understandable as it is eating away at your cuticle.  I followed Kristina's steps and I really enjoy the ease I had at reshaping my cuticles.  It was gentle and I actually used a cuticle trimmer again and didn't hurt myself, which I would say is a win!  
Top (before) Bottom (after)
Already they look better (to me at least).  I followed this up with Sally Hansen's "Hard as Nails" base coat and two coats of  Ulta Professionals' "Island Hopper".  I think I see an improvement in the manicure already with my taken care of cuticles.  Tonight before bed, I'm going to use the cuticle oil (as per directions).  I'll definitely do a catch up post if I notice any nail changes.
Ulta Professionals "Island Hopper" in a little baby bottle. So cute.
Do you take care of your cuticles? Send me tips below!-  Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment