Friday, January 30, 2015

Pin Curls

Hey guys!

Ugh, winter... the time when sickness hits hard and fast.  This week has been horrible for me, health wise, but whatever bug I had I seem to be getting over.  Today was my first day back out in the world, and goodness... it was tough.

But you know how they say "fake it till you make it" and "dress your best when you feel your worst"? That's what I did, and it really helped.  I even did my hair.  Now that's saying something.

Last night before bed, I was scrolling through Pinterest, as you do, and I came across this tutorial/curl comparison post from Bustle.com.  Feeling adventurous, I decided to try the pin curls.  Maybe I was inspired by Ash's post from yesterday... I don't know, but if there's another way to curl my hair without killing my arm with a curling iron, I'll take it.

It really didn't take that long to pin up my hair.  Maybe fifteen or so minutes- while I have a lot of hair, it's very thin.  I took sections of my hair (probably too big in areas) and wrapped them around my index and middle fingers and then bobby-pinned them to my head, working from the top down.  I used two pins per curl, creating around 13 or so curls. Getting a picture was tough, I still haven't really worked out how to mirror yet haha!
Pins. Pins everywhere.


I slept on these over night, and was pleasantly surprised when I didn't feel the pins really at all.  Yay comfort.
Sleepy fear that this could be a bad idea.

When I woke up the next morning, I changed into the day's outfit and began the process of unravelling the curls, working bottom up.  I was a little terrified, as you can see.  I couldn't see the end result yet. I do have to say, it curled better than I thought though. My hair rarely curls this easily.
Note: The weird kink at the top of that curl... dang it.

I ran my fingers through my hair, flipped my head upside down, and was happy-ish with the end result.  I ended up pulling the front sides back.  The right side had a weird kink towards the top, probably I twisted the wrong way when attaching it to my head.  I am definitely going to do this again. It was super easy and gave my hair a lot of volume.
End result.
Things to improve on: varied direction of curls (all one way, need a little variety), care when attaching to head (avoid weird kinks in the curl).

Have you ever tried pin curls?  Help me convince Ash to try in the comments below! -Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment