Sunday, January 25, 2015

Trying out Nail Stickers for the First Time

Hey guys! It's Ashley. I intended to do a January Boxycharm today but... I had A.D.D. Lol. Megan does a lot of nail polish posts so I decided to do one. I've never done the nail sticker things before so today was the day! I wanted to try out Essie sleek stick nail strip stickery things. I got 3 different packs of these at the Dollar Tree a while back and haven't been brave enough to try them out yet. 
I'm not sure what the other brands include in these stickery nail type things but Essie had 18 nail strips, 1 cuticle stick, 1 file and buffer, and 1 instruction sheet in their package. The style I did today is called Stick with Style. 
Starting out I was pretty worried about how this was gonna turn out...the instructions on the back of the unopened package is super vague. Basically all it said was prep, apply, and perfect with little pictures beside each step. Yeah, time to research it on YouTube. I actually used this video here to see more info on how to do it. http://youtu.be/mvwDDECmKk8 The style she used is actually the same one I did today too! Once I opened the package, I found the instruction sheet very helpful too. 
Anyways I started out using nail polish remover just to clean my nails up. Essie recommended using rubbing alcohol, I didn't have that so nail polish remover it was. I then pushed back my cuticles. Wow, I could really tell I haven't pushed back my cuticles in a long time. Next I put my fingers up under each nail sticker, starting at the cuticle, to see which sticker would fit best. Once I found the right cuticle size, I took the sticker off and applied it to my nail starting at the bottom of my nail working pressure into the sides and up. I applied a lot of pressure during this step. You'll see that you're left with a lot of the sticker off of your nail, at least I did cause I have really short nails. I then bent the excess sticker over to the edge of my nail. Next I started filing my nails. I tried to use the file it comes with but, ehh...I found my own file works much better. It was pretty simple, actually. I didn't have any mishaps so I still have 8 stickers left over. I think I might try and use them as an accent finger or toe nail. Gotta get the full value, even if it was only $1. Lol. 
The only con I really saw with this is it takes a long time to do. I don't know if it is because I'm new at this and with practice it'll take less time? It took me about an hour to apply these bad boys, I could've painted my nails and had them dried way before that. That's the only real complaint I can say about that so far. 

Here's a picture! Top is my right hand and bottom is my left hand. 
They're a light pinky color with tiny circle dots which are raised up, adding a texture to it. 

I'm not sure how long these will last, hopefully at least the week. Fingers crossed. I'll update how long they lasted later. If this goes will I really wanna try other brands...such as Jamberry! I've heard great things about them. Anyways hope you all have had a great weekend and talk at you soon with updates on Essie sleek stick! 


Update! Three days later....
Okay, here's the deal. After wearing these for three days now, it's peeling at the tops of my nails. I realize that polish usually starts to chip after a few days too but I thought maybe these would last longer. I did make a mistake with them though. After making my post, I decided that I wanted to try and make them last longer. I started researching it. I found many people suggesting it may last longer with a top coat, therefore I applied a layer in my pinky nail. Not the best idea. The top coat just ate into the nail polish sticker. 
Bottom line- would I recommend this to other people? I honestly don't know. I would like to try some other brands to see how they hold up to them since this was my first time. I do like the idea of using them before a special event for example. Just a tip, apply them a day before so they will look fresh and pretty. 

Top- left hand, as you can see my pinky is a lil missed up. Lol. 
Bottom- right hand





No comments:

Post a Comment